Thursday, October 27, 2011

Introducing Sonny

Sonny was born on February 12, 1999 out of a mare named Sonny Bar Breeze and by the stallion Pass to the Stars. Both of his eyes are partially blue and he has 3 APHA points, 1 in halter and 2 in longe line. He was used as a western pleasure horse for a while but hadn't been ridden in months.

My first time riding Sonny.

None of that mattered when I drove out that chilling October day to see him. The only reason I went was because I had the day off school and was thinking about getting another horse. He was close by, so why not?

Sonny's first day at his new home!

He was in the very last stall, completely dirty and under muscled. He looked like an absolute mess! As soon as I walked over he immediately came to say hi. He was so curious and loved the attention; he chewed on my jacket and licked my hair. I was hooked.


Sonny came home on October 25th, 2009. At the time, I wasn't very sure what I was going to do with him. He wasn't a show horse, he didn't have any special talent, he was used to western when I was used to english, and I didn't have anything for him (not even a halter!). But, I had a horse and he had the greatest sense of humor and that was all that mattered.



I kicked into gear and busted out my unused Parelli Level 1 DVD's and got to work. That is when our journey began!

We slowly progressed for a while. I was only using the home-study program and a few random tips from the savvy forum. Then over the summer I met my new best friend, Melissa. Not only does she do parelli, but we also go to the same school. Perfect! Then on August 28, 2011 we went to our first Parelli Playday at 3* Instructor Jesse Peter's place. WOW! That may have been one of the most influential days of my entire life. From then on Sonny and I have been progressing a lot more rapidly!

Sonny and me and Jesse's place.

Now we are playing in level 3 and I am trying to get to a fast track to live my dream as a Parelli Professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment