Monday, October 31, 2011

Experiencing the Power of Focus

Chances are you have seen this video:


Even as I was younger (but not that young!) I understood the power of focus. When I was first learning to jump I was completely astonished that you could influence your horse's lead after a jump just by where you looked while over the jump. How cool!

I know Pat talks about focus a lot and I work really hard at it while riding. Tonight is was brought to my attention that I may not always be putting the focus into online tasks like I should be.

Lately Sonny and I have been struggling a bit with going sideways over the ball. Sometimes it is because he is unconfident, and sometime because he is too confident (you can't make me!). There was a lot of commotion at the barn tonight, so it was one of the unconfident times.

After lots of friendly with the ball, we made it over a few times. But, it went something like this:
Okay this foot. Now that foot. Whoa, not so fast! I said left foot not right foot! You're about to touch the ball!!!!

If you can picture that, you can see how we both ended up worn out and sweaty after only a couple of times! It made me think: Who is doing more work here? Obviously, it required a huge amount of energy by both of us, when each of us should really have to use only minimal energy to go sideways a few steps over a ball. 

So, what's broken? Me. I shouldn't have to micromanage him. It is his responsibility to make it over; it is only my job to suggest that he do it. Therefore, I set him up for success by placing him where he should easily be able to make it over the ball. Then, I focused my attention over his withers and asked for sideways, as if the ball wasn't there. Guess what? It went perfectly! It was by far the best sideways over a ball we have every done. AND it was so easy for both of us!

Lesson of the day: It is not about the ball....or the trailer, or whatever the task may be. I can't get caught up in so much of what I want to happen that I skip the fundamentals. If you take the time it takes, it will take less time. What's the rush to get over the ball? Why don't we do it right from the beginning and never have to worry about it! 

This reminds me of the time at Jesse's playday when I was playing with loading Sonny in other people's trailers. Jesse rode by and shouted "Put his mind in the trailer not his feet!". After that I focused my attention on focusing Sonny's attention and he walked in without hesitation. Wow! It really 'clicked' then, but now I have to apply it to everything we do.

The power of focus is truly a real 'power' and should be embraced.

Lesson with Juli on 9/20/11



3 comments:

  1. you have such a natural ability to explain concepts in a way that is easy to relate to! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melisasa! That is great to hear :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also insanely jealous of that little girl. Man!

    ReplyDelete