Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas in July

Yesterday was so beautiful, I could have sworn we just had Christmas in July.

It is hard to believe that yesterday, being the day after Christmas, was SO sunny and 45 degrees. Who would have ever imagined that? Sonny and I played on line for a while. I really focused on rewarding the slightest try. I talked to Juli over the weekend and she mentioned that is going to be the key to making him motivated. Makes perfect sense, I just don't think I had put the effort in myself to reward him for the slightest try no matter what. When we play with something new, I always stick with 'expect a lot, accept a little, reward the slightest try'. BUT...I don't think I always reward the slightest try on things I believe he knows how to do. I I guess in my mind if he knew what to do he should, but that is balanced out by expect a lot...I still need to reward the slightest try!

After some sidways game, I got on and played with a lot of carrot stick riding. Then we went on a  trail ride down the driveway and along the road. The grass is still super wet so we couldn't ride through it, but the driveway/road walk was fun enough. It was my first time using my carrot stick out on a trail ride. It went so well!  He still listened to my eyes, bellybutton and legs, making the steering part easy. He was also very in tune to my body for transitions, both up and down. Considering that was a challenge just a week or so ago, I would say yesterday was a huge success! I can't wait to be able to go on trail rides with only my carrot stick and savvy string! 




No comments:

Post a Comment