Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Joy Ride

I have been really busy with school lately, which is unfortunately cutting into my time with Sonny. But, only three weeks left, then finals, then a cruise, then next quarter I should have plenty of Sonny time!

Anyways, the time I have been able to spend with his has been great! For some reason, freestyle isn't out strong point. But, I have rode three times over the past week and it has been wonderful!

I realized that I am still expecting perfection while riding. The past few rides, especially last night, I really worked on just making my good better, and my better best, without expecting everything to be perfect. That made such a difference!

For one, it made me lighten up a lot. Just last night I realized I don't ever smile while riding. Which is strange, considering I am almost always smiling online and at liberty. As sensitive as Sonny is, I know he has to notice. That made me think about myself and what I am doing while riding. I spend so much time focusing on him and what he is doing, I don't focus on myself at all.

So last night I really focused on smiling, being aware of what I am doing, and actually enjoying myself! I put effort into controlling my energy, and mainly focusing on the task and myself, instead of just him. Of course, things fell into place and he was happy and I was happy and we actually had a really enjoyable ride! For once I wasn't so hung up on perfection that we actually got to have fun. Not only were we having a good time, everything was so much better than it normally is! He was following the rail, listening to my phase one, changing direction at the trot without taking off, putting effort into the question box, and even putting effort into jumping the little cross rail I had set up!

So my lesson of the day: I need to start playing while riding. Just because I am in the saddle doesn't mean I have to be serious and everything has to be perfect. It is more important to focus on me, such my energy and focusing where I am going, than to focus on him. When I am hold up my end of the bargain, he will fall into place. And most importantly, the more I enjoy myself, the more he will, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment