Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How Much You Care

I haven’t been posting a lot lately, but I have spent a lot of time thinking. Sonny and I have been progressing so much these past couple of weeks and I couldn’t figure out why, until today.

A few nights ago we had a really good ride. Of course we played with carrot stick riding but also really focused on forehand, hindend, then sideways. I haven’t asked much for sideways without reins and it went SO well! We got a lot of good steps and some licking and chewing.


Tonight was fantastic. He was all ears; more happy faces than ugly faces is always an amazing night. His sideways is improving, slow hand carrot stick transitions were awesome, and even his upward transitions were right on the money. He was responsive and happy about it! On top of that, I got him to roll three times, which means he totally gets what I am asking. The best part is that the last roll didn’t require much wandering around! I am blown away by how fast he caught on to laying down and how amazing it was for him to do it without a ton of steps tonight! I couldn’t be happier!

Blurry, but cute :)

When I first read Kristi Smiths’s blog, Your Needs are My Needs, I thought I understood it. LBI’s need incentive and rest and I really didn't apply it much more than that. Tonight it finally clicked. Lately Sonny and I have been doing a whole lot of nothing. We have been taking walks down the road, soaking up the sunshine, eating grass, rolling, and not much else. This is not because I think we need undemanding time, but mainly because the weather has been so nice that I want him to have the chance to get out as much as possible. Before I have talked about spending undemanding time with him because he needs a break and we need that relationship building time, but this undemanding time has been completely different. We didn’t need to, but I wanted to do it for him. We have been going on walks, sunbathing, and spending a lot of time grazing because I care about him…and he notices. The more I put effort into doing things for him, the more effort he puts into doing things for me. And when I say doing things for him, I don’t mean what I used to think: things like giving him time to think because that means a better face. When I think about it, I am doing that for me; I want the better face so giving him time to think benefits me. I am starting to believe that all this checking in with me stuff and all the happy faces is a reflection of him realizing I am putting effort into doing things just for him, so he is asking what can he do for me in return. Kristi didn’t title her blog My Needs are Your Needs, but Your Needs Are My Needs. Because in the end, you’re horse doesn’t care how much you know until he knows how much you care.


2 comments: