Sunday, April 29, 2012

Extroverted, Introverted, and Everything In-Between

Our natural trimmer, Rodger, came down on Saturday to do the horses' feet. It was raining and Sonny had been outside, but at least he was smart enough to stay in the shelter. He was cold and wet so I brought him in and dried him off. I had no idea what was in store for me.

Poor guy :(.

After getting him dry I took him out into the area to hang out until Rodger got there. To say the least, he was wild! Running, bucking, rearing, hopping, flipping his head, shaking his neck, and overall just full of energy. I am not sure what caused it, but it was too funny! I hadn't planned on doing anything, but he didn't want to stand still at all so I figured I would help get his feet moving. We played lots of stick to me and driving game at liberty (I didn't want to be at the other end of his rope!). It is also so interesting when my normally extreme LBI doesn't want to keep his feet still. I was being a little introvert that day, so it was hard for me to match his energy. Here is a short clip of it:


When he is extroverted is the only time I ask him to rear. When he is his usual, introverted self, my rear command is met with a lift of his nose and a grunt, without his feet ever moving haha. 

Once Rodger got there he calmed down and was good. His feet are really looking great! Which is a huge improvement from last fall when Rodger first started doing them.

Today Sonny was back to his normal self. Very introverted and not wanting to move very much. I set up some trot poles and did some different things with those. He backed right over them without trying to get out of it, so I was really happy with that. I also had him circle all the poles, then go between them, then over them, the stop in front of them, and everything I could think of. This got him interested enough to give me so good faces so I kept it short and sweet and ended on that. 

Before I took him out of the arena I wanted to work on one more thing (this is where the "in-between" part of the title comes into play). A few days ago I thought it would be interesting to see if he would go sideways over me. I have always, always wanted to do it, but never tried it. After seeing a PP do it at Equine Affaire, I knew we could do it. I played with it for a bit but did more friendly game under him than sideways. Well today I played with having him go sideways over me and I think it was a huge success. For this being only our second day, I was really happy with it! 




More to come, soon!

4 comments:

  1. When he is extroverted it is sooo cute! I love his rear. And I love your sideways over you and super glad you had a video of it. Very, very cool!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what makes me think Lilah is more LBE than LBI or at least a mix. She acts like that ALL the time. Guess we will find out if that is a "just because I'm a baby" trait or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I know he hasn't done much with sideways over you but It would be interesting to try it with the ball and see if he lags in his back end like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Janine :).

    Melissa, there isn't any reason lilah can't be both ;).

    He has moved sidewways like that ever since he cut up his back leg on that barrel. It's just his way of protecting himself so I never push the issue. It's gets better with friendly game, time, and lots and lots of repetition!

    ReplyDelete