Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Parelli Workshop

On Saturday, Melissa and I had the privilege to participate in an online/freestyle workshop held by 2* instructor Juli Piovesan. It was an introductory workshop to teach people about not only the levels, but horsenalities as well. Juli brought her horse, Ames (RBE), Melissa brought Rydel (RBI), Debbie brought her Sonny (RBE), and I brought my Sonny (LBI).

We started out online and went through the seven games as Juli explained them a touched on how horsenalities affect how you approach the games.

Porcupine from the chest. 

Debbie showing some sideways on the rail. 

Melissa using the 'triangle' to improve her squeeze game.

I was particularly proud of the circling game Sonny and I had. Right off the bat he maintained a trot for multiple circles! Usually he stops during our first circle and I have to reminded him that it is his responsibility to maintain gait and then he trots multiple circles. But yesterday he was a superstar and held up his end of the responsibilities perfectly!

So his head may be cut off, but you get the point!

Melissa and I with walk circles.

After showing what all the games were, she set up some challenges for us, which were so much fun! Our first challenge was to yo-yo between the barrels without going over phase two. Melissa and Rydel did FANTASTIC with this challenge! Sonny backed really straight, but very sluggish. After doing a few 'snappy' back ups, his yo-yo was much better.

Love this picture!

Here is a picture of the sideways challenge on the rail: go sideways away from you and back without going over phase two. 


After we were confident our horses were ready for freestyle, we saddled up! We then went through all the seven games in the saddle. Juli pointed out to me that the same long phase 1 quick 2,3,4 still is affective in the saddle, just like it is online. This goes back to the point that if there isn't a good phase 4, then there is no reason to be responsive to phase 1. Light bulb!

Sonny was great following the rail!

Juli also had us move the forehand then the hindend to bring it down to a halt from a walk. In our last lesson, we practiced moving the hind end until he halted but it was a bit unclear to me. Having Juli there to show us what it looked like helped tremendously! Now that it has clicked, I can't wait to play with this!!

Juli then had two people sit in the middle as cones, then the other two of us figure 8 and circle them. This went perfectly with my lesson with Laura the other day! Sonny walked around them in a figure 8 or circle without me using my carrot stick or reins and with minimal leg. Very impressed! Trotting was a bit more complicated, but definitely improvement!



This is an excellent picture of Juli and Rydel in the middle! 

The absolute best part about the day was the relationship between Sonny and I. Throughout the day he gave me such wonderful, happy faces! Even through the yo-yo between the barrels, he had two eyes and two ears locked on me! And he never is happy about backing up. He was so happy to do things for me and to be with me that I couldn't have been happier myself. It was definitely one of those moments when everything you have been working for is suddenly right in front of you and you get all warm and fuzzy inside. :)



I would like to thank Juli for holding the workshop and giving us the opportunity to share Parelli with other people and for the wonderful experience! Also, for all of her help in general; Saturday would have not have been as great as it was without all of her help over the winter! I would also like to thank my boyfriend, for all the long nights and hard work he put into getting our trailer ready at the last minute to use. As well as for driving us there, and being such a huge help throughout the day without even complaining :). 


1 comment:

  1. This is so great! Your photos are wonderful! It was such a great day :)

    ReplyDelete