Monday, May 7, 2012

Grinning Ear to Ear

Another fabulous day to add to the "Horsenality Movement"!

Yesterday I started to pay close attention to his faces with everything I do. For instance, I haven't been allowing him to come into my space until he has at least one ear forward. Although I would prefer two eyes and two ears, anything is better than both ears back. Usually he doesn't have them back in a super ugly face, but it isn't anything pretty, either. If at least one ear isn't forward, he doesn't get to come within a few feet of me. Guess what doesn't happen a few feet away from me? Treats. I don't get mad and only back him up if his ears are back and ugly, but he doesn't get scratches or treats unless he has a better face.

Along with that, I have been much more conscious about his face's during the games. For instance, I never realized just how many times he asks me questions out on a circle. I always am so neutral (in fact, too neutral!) that I pretend like he isn't there. Without putting pressure on him or changing my energy, I tried to really recognize all the times he either a) keeps an ear on me b) gives me two eyes and two ears or c) does anything except have both ears back. This was really eye opening to me. I get discouraged very often when it comes to his faces (especially when I see my friend's horses lock on with their eyes and ears constantly). But, I fail to take into account all the great things my LBI offers me. Today, especially.

My goal was to work on my slow hand transitions, from all gaits. Interestingly, he loves to come down from a walk to a trot from my slow hand, but not to a halt, back up, or even trot from a canter. My theory is that when I was first playing with the slow hand, it was easiest for him to go from a trot to a walk so that's when he was reward the most. So today I worked on all sorts of different, and snappy, transitions from my slow hand. I asked in the same spot, but not every time. Within about 3 circles he came to that spot, basically half halted himself, and then shot two eyes and two ears at me "Stop or keep going?". Bam, game over :). Not only was he rocking the questions today, he even continued into my space with two eyes and two ears. That makes me all smiles :).

Ignoring my big, fat, finger, doesn't
that face just melt your heart?

After a few good changes of direction and coming into me with a happy face, I moved on to the bridle. We haven't played with it in a while, which is my fault. I need to make it more of a habit to help him overcome his confidence issues with the bit. Today I put it on him and was standing there playing with instagram (just got it for my droid) when I noticed him yawning. Not one yawn, not two, maybe not even three, but more like four yawns later, I was totally in shock! I have been pressuring him to sigh or lick and chew for months now, and the minute I turn away he lets out the biggest release. Huh, imagine that ;). Maybe he isn't the one that is so tense anymore? Definitely food for thought! (That is Sonnys least favorite kind of food). 


Love this little booger so, so, so very much.

3 comments: