Monday, July 9, 2012

Week One Updates

As of last night, Sonny had been at the farm for a whole week! We survived!

The weather was insane; just so miserably hot. Therefore, we didn't get a whole lot done. I had him out to eat grass during all the cool parts of the day and didn't want to take that time away from him to do any playing. Thankfully, Sunday was beautiful! It was cool, breezy, and so enjoyable. Therefore, Sunday morning we finally played! He was great online, a little unmotivated/not very interested. I have been watching the level 4 DVDs so I thought I would give zone 5 driving a shot. It didn't go very well at all. He did not want to move forward and when he did he I couldn't figure out how to get him straight. I got relaly frustrated with my lack of knowledge and because Pat uses an RBE in the DVDs and has no problem at all getting her going. So my emotions got involved and I knew that I had to quit so I got him to move a little bit then stopped. I guess I will have to prepare myself better, next time. I hate getting frustrated because I know Sonny feeds off that but I really felt like I was lacking resources. But, I plan on doing more research and being more positive next time to take the time it takes to figure it out. I am sure that Sonny will forgive me and that next time will be better!

We got to ride this morning and it was fabulous. I used my smart pad under my bareback pad and it was heaven! Oh, it was so nice! I played with the question box, trot poles, and even jumped a little! We had a really good time!

After my ride Stephen came over to work on my tack room a little bit. I will post about that tomorrow. But, he didn't come empty handed! He came with 8 more barrels for me. Now, I will have 12 barrels to play with! Holy cow! I am so excited and can't wait to 'break them in' ;). He is such a keeper!

I am going back down tonight to show my friend around, so more about that tomorrow, too!

A few photos from our first week!

2 comments:

  1. I´m not good in giving any advice at all because I can´t explain myself really. Also I hate it when people try to give my advices ;)
    Anyway I remember when I started longreing from z5 I started walking next to her in the beginning and then slowly moved farther back until I could walk behind her, trying to break it down in small steps and reward often. Also in the beginning I mostly did follow the rail until she could keep up the responibility to maintain gait and stay on the trail. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much, Marion! I was going to email you and you just beat me to it! I think those are both fantastic ideas; I don't know why I just jumped in. I guess I figured in the DVDs Pat starts with that mare out in the big field and starts in her zone 5 so I thought that's what I should do. But, definitely start small and work your way up. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again :)

    PS I am always interested in advise from you :). You have done so well with your LBI, I hope to do the same!

    ReplyDelete