Thursday, July 5, 2012

All Moved In

Sonny and I went to a 3/4 clinic with Jesse Peter's over the weekend. When we came home on Sunday, we went straight to the new barn. We had an awful, scary trailer ride home, so between the three and a half hours in the trailer and the exhausting weekend at the clinic, Sonny was definitely wore out by the time we arrived. We got there pretty late, so we didn't have time to do much that night. Stephen and I spent some time hanging out with him in his stall, gave him some hay, then headed home for some much needed sleep.

I headed back down around 7AM and he seemed to have been fine over night. I can see him in his stall from the road, so I can check if he is moving, eating, or standing. He had eaten all his hay and was just hanging out. Once I walked him he really hyped up. For the rest of the day, he got upset whenever I left. He wouldn't eat his hay unless I was around, but did eat a ton of grass and all of his grain. He would whinny and poop until I came back into sight (Even if I was just around the corner!). I spent a whopping 15 hours at the barn Monday, staying with him as much as possible to keep him happy. He never had runny poop or worked himself up, but you could just tell that he wasn't comfortable without me around. Which is totally understandable! He is at a new farm with only one other horse.

Tuesday was better, but I saw a definite change on Wednesday. He stopped pooping every time I left, didn't walk circles when I was gone, and started to explore his stall and eat all of his hay. Today he is acting very close to his normal self; even someone who just met him Monday commented on how happy he looked today compared to Monday. But, why wouldn't he be?

Our daily schedule looks something like this:

  • 7AM: arrive at the barn. Take out Sonny to eat all the clover he can scarf down, along with the lush, green grass that is taking over the farm. 
  • 9AM: Breakfast! And stall cleaning
  • 9:30AM: Back out for another go at the all-you-can-eat buffet. 
  • 11AM: Back to the stall before it gets too hot. Fan on high and a nice little snack. 
  • (During this time I am working to get things done around the farm, as well as showering and feeding myself)
  • 7PM: Back out to eat grass and roam around
  • 9PM: Dinner time! Maybe a cool shower, too. 
  • 10PM: Time for Emily to go home. 

Rough life for the boy, right? It's been so stinkin' hot we haven't played much at the new farm. This weekend it should cool down, so I am looking forward to getting back at it.

Here are some photos of his updated stall:

What you see from the road.

His first day in his new stall! 

I love the shadow :).

While I was at the clinic, Stephen and his dad surprised me by putting a lot of work into my tack room! It was so nice to come home to that!

Still a lot to do, but we have walls and a door!

The current state of the tack room.

His favorite thing to do. 
 So far things have been great and will hopefully only get better!

2 comments:

  1. Sonny's new stall is so cool! I bet he really enjoys it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! He will REALLY enjoy it when the fence is up and he can come and go whenever he wants :).

    ReplyDelete