Sunday, September 23, 2012

Savvy Health

In attempts to get my good better and my better best, I have been looking into improving Sonny's diet.

When Sonny first came to me, he was "chunky" and I am not sure what his diet consisted of. He was obviously getting fed something, but I have no idea what.

Sonny's first day home! 

I kept him pretty "thick" the first two years I had him. After moving him closer to home last fall, he has been looking great! Now that he is in my care, I think he is looking better than ever.

But, I have made it a point to start getting more involved in his diet. To start, I sent my hay off to be anaylized. I then sent the results off to Claire Cox of Shotgun Ranch. For the past few days Claire has been working with me to come up with a natural, balanced, diet for Sonny. I am so excited! In just these few short days I have learned so much. 

I guess I get tricked into "doing what other people do". I grew up with the idea that I just wanted to ride and someone else can take care of my horses health. I am not sure why I had that selfish, illogical, thought process, but that's how it was. As I get older I can't imagine not being actively involved in my horse's health. 

I know a big problem for me has been what to believe and what not to. Feed companies stop by all the time and tell me what to do and what no to do. I try to stay out of it as much as possible, but of course some of the things they say makes me question what I am doing. But, I have a handful of fabulous resources who I hope can put my worried mind to rest. 

Anyways, I can't wait to start Sonny's new diet and can't wait to share with you all how it is going. I am planning on sharing a lot of the interesting things I come across, but in the meantime be sure to stop by Claire's facebook page for some awesome tips! 

Nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment