Thursday, September 6, 2012

SUCCESS

I am not one for capital letters, but holy cow today was a fabulous day!!

Yesterday I got a mild break from work, so I got a chance to watch my DVD that had just came in the mail. I found a used 'Jumping with Confidence' DVD by Linda for $5. STEAL. Cheapest Parelli education material I have ever bought. Ever. And worth every single penny!

Not to go into too much detail, but most of the DVD was more about respect than jumping. Turns out that is exactly what I needed. I am going to a hunter pace this weekend and that was why I watched the DVD, but there definitely was a greater lesson to be learned.

So I made it a point today to not be a boring, predictable human. I made it a point to be a good leader every second I could. I got fabulous results! Sonny's faces improved a lot (he hadn't looked at me with two eyes and two ears for a few weeks before today), he did lots of licking and chewing, became interested, and consequently, he jumped!!!!

He jumped everything I asked him to, even the barrels that he loves to run out on. He put so much effort into going over them not only online, but also freestyle :). That had been a HUGE problem for us, but today he didn't think twice about jumping them every time I pointed him at them. Awesome!

So fabulous day riding. Once I was done he was all hot and sweaty so I thought it would be a good time to ask him to lay down. Once he started rolling, I played porcupine game on his halter and gently asked him to lay flat. Without even thinking about it, he laid down and stayed there until I asked him to get up. I may have had a mini heart attack I was so elated. I have been wishing and hoping for this moment for SUCH a long time and today it finally happened :). YAHOO!!! Our relationship must really be improving; I feel like he trusts me so much more now.

Tomorrow I plan to play with a little game of contact and ask for the laying down again! Hope it goes just as well as it did today!

Love this Kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment