Saturday, November 3, 2012

Just What We Needed

Juli Piovesan came out yesterday for the first time since she got back from Colorado! I am sure she had an awesome time, but I definitely missed her a lot! So did Sonny ;).

I knew I wanted an online lesson because, for one, I wanted to play with zone 5 driving and for two, Sonny and I have hated it lately. We were stuck and neither of us ever wanted to play online. I knew that meant something was wrong so I asked for help.

We started out in our slow warm up, playing the touch it game to try to cause him to ask questions. He was touching everything I wanted, even with the leg I was aiming for. Then he touched the jump standards with zone 5 without any problem at all. I was pretty impressed; he is usually so scared to touch things with zone 5.

Zone 5 touching the jump standards! 

From there we moved onto figure 8s. Not to focus on the pattern but to see what it would take for him to ask me a question. He would perk up an ear as he came around the outside of the barrels but then go right back to his LBI face. We experimented with a few ideas, but none of them really  influenced him to connect with me and ask me a question. We tried keeping his feet moving until he perked up an ear. It was a long, slow process of backwards, sideways, forwards, and again, and again, and again, without even a hint of a question! Then, he wasn't being responsive sideways so I made it snappy and tagged him and he gave me two ears and a big question :). So it seems like snappy might be the key to unlocking the questions and happy faces.



Such a happy face ;).

From there we went to play with zone 5 driving. We did a LOT of really awesome preparations. After watching the levels, I was left really confused and unconfident about Z5D. Juli isolated and separated the whole process so we could recombine smoothly into Z5D. I felt really left out in the dark after the levels and Juli really, really, really made sense of everything.

Better expression!

Sonny was an absolute superstar. He was even cantering beautiful circles around me in zone 3 with my featherlines on. He would even trot off with just my leading hand :). He was being so responsive I couldn't believe it! Even his expression improved! :) So we didn't actually get to Z5D but she put about a million arrows in my quiver and gave Sonny and I something really fun to play with! :)

Somewhere along the line in our lesson we were discussing playing online. She told me that we play online to 1. teach the human something new 2. teach the horse something new 3. for preparation (like trailer or farrier). Okay, I have herd those a bunch before and it makes sense. Then she made it clear that those are the only reasons we play on line. I have been playing online just to practice, but unless you are trying to develop a skill or prep for something, you shouldn't just be playing online. Lightbulb! That is why we hate it! It completely blew my mind and made sense of everything that has been happening lately. I think that was a huge breakthrough for me and I think it will really change a lot in our relationship!

Finally, Juli helped me with feeding. As you all know, now that Sonny is at the barn I manage I get the pleasure of feeding him almost every day. When I first started he was pushy and such a challange. All summer I have played the driving game to get him to back up and wait for me to dump his grain, then wait for him to ask if he can eat before I allow him to. He does okay with it but he is always a nervous wreck and super anxious. So I asked Juli if she could help me have him relax at feeding time. She asked me to put his halter on, dump his grain, and back him a consistent amount of steps. Then, once the butterflies settle and he asks a question, I can guide him to his feed bucket. So I did just that. Backing him wasn't too back but it took him a little while to let the butterflies settle (I love that analogy!). Once he seemed relaxed I guided him to the bucket, but he came to me instead :). That was a super, huge warm and fuzzy moment for me! He knew the grain was in the bucket and he came to me instead :). He came to me with this super sweet, soft face and it melted my heart. Definitely the perfect way to end our lesson!

Needless to say, I am so thrilled and excited to continue to play with the ideas that Juli gave me! I am so happy that she is back and so lucky to have her around :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm just entering level 2, it's fun to see the things we have to look forward to. Great blog! (Sorry if this posts twice, it's giving me problems!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Mandy! Level 2 is when things really start to get fun! Just remember to enjoy the journey ;).

      Delete