Monday, March 12, 2012

Back That Thing Up

Last week I posted about having issues with backing, mainly due to respect. Well, backing has improved tremendously since then!

Tonight I played a bit at liberty. To start off, his sideways was amazing. That was definitely the furthest he had gone sideways at liberty from phase 1 without moving forward. Awesome!

From the sideways we moved on to two trot circles. He happily trotted along around me (even though his buddies were standing at the far end of the arena and he could have gone to hang out with them!). When I disengaged, he gave me two eyes and two ears and politely waited for me to ask him to come in. Is this really the same horse as last week? Wow! Love those happy faces!

I wanted to test our back up, because once you take the halter off nothing is left but the truth. The truth is: our back up really did improve as much as I thought! I got him to back up more than 22 feet from phase 1/2, then he waited so nicely to come back into me.


Success! Super happy with tonight!

On a side note, we had a really great time yesterday, too. It was 65 degrees and beautiful outside so we went for a trail ride! There really isn't anywhere to ride but the road we just walked a little over a mile up the road. He was so great! We went down a lane to get to the road and he trotted over nicely when I asked and came to a halt without using my reins! It is so wonderful to have a horse than you can ride anywhere on a loose rein! What a fabulous few days we have had!

2 comments: