Friday, March 9, 2012

Time Out

I mentioned in a recent post that I started playing with the Corners Game (which you can find out more about it in the freestyle patterns or in the new level 3 freestyle DVDs) with great success. I rode last night and warmed up with the corners game and again it worked out great! Even though the corners in my arena are dark and filled with toys, Sonny definitely gets the idea. I feel like I am putting him in time out sitting in the dingy corners, but I find it relaxing and I think he does, too. He is putting so much effort into getting to the corners, he was even trotting when I didn't ask him to. An LBI trotting when you only ask for walk is huge progress! It also is greatly improving our follow the rail. He used to constantly dive into the middle of the area or hunt down the question box, but now is happy to stay along the rail to make it to the next corner. 

We played with more canter last night and it is going better! He is making really ugly faces, but canters from phase 2 so I am hoping the faces will improve with his stamina. 

A big step for us was last night before I got on. After playing online a bit I took off the lead and played with figure 8's at liberty for the first time ever. We had been working so much on the weave that our figure 8's have been improving a lot. At first they were a little sticky and he was hesitate to move forward, but it didn't take him long to realize that the pattern was still the same even at liberty and he made a perfect walk figure 8! WOW! So impressed! Of course I stopped after that :). 

Kisses from my lovebug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment