Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Taking the Time It Takes

I realize I am very fortunate to have the education that I do. OSU is a great school, it's so close to home, and I have plenty of people supporting me through my time at college.

That doesn't mean I enjoy it. There is no worse feeling than being stuck inside a library studying molecular bio chemistry when the sun is shining in through the window, teasing you about the beautiful day outside. Of course my thoughts never leave Sonny as I mindlessly scribble notes on a page. I guess that is why I have always looked at college with the idea of 'Get in and get out!'.

In that fashion, I started college in the summer after my senior year of high school, I chose a major within a single quarter, and applied and was accepted a year early. I thought this was want I wanted. It was an allied medicine profession, paid well, and all of my family thought it was a great idea. I did, too....until I saw people living their dream.

Why can't I be a parelli professional? Why can't I make horses my full time job? Horses are my (only) passion. Having a job that involves horses seemed so...fantasy like. It never seemed possible to me because it would be too good to be true. With the help of my aunt I have realized that I can do this! I can make it happen. I can live my dream.

So today I went and changed my major from Medical Technology to Animal Science. I plan on graduating with a 2 year degree in Veterinary Technology and a 4 year degree in Animal Science with Emphasis on Equine Science. How awesome this that? My hopes are to work at the equine center near my house and give parelli lessons. Sounds perfect to me!

If I would have takent the time to takes to figure out what I want my life to be, I might not be in the position I am. At the same time, I am so thankful to have realized this before spending $30,000+ on a career I don't want and that doesn't make me happy. It is going to be a lot easier changing my life plan half way through my sophomore year in college rather than when I am 30 or 40 years old.

Lesson of the day: It is so easy to take Pat's lessons and apply them around your horse. He teaches so much horse psychology that the things he says 'click'. The key is to take that knowledge and use it in everything in your life. True savvy isn't just with horses, its a lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment