Thursday, November 3, 2011

Visible Progress

Sonny and I have been progressing at a rapid pace lately. Our lesson with Jesse got it started, and every lesson with Juli keeps on improving us.

Not only are our games better, but our relationship has reached a whole new level. When we first started progressing, I was amazing. Sonny can canter 4 or 5 circles with me in neutral, he jumps higher, he now can go sideways towards me, and much, much more. But, within the last few days it has kind of hit me how much our relationship improved. He can go from trot to walk to trot on a circle just by my body language now. He doens't do it all the time, but for him to respond so such a subtle phase on a 22 foot line...that is a connection! During our first lesson with Juli, September 20th, he was in his own little world out there on the circle, wouldn't flex towards me and I had to go to phase 3 or 4 to get him to go from a trot to a walk. Just in a months time our relationship has grown so much.

Also, his whole attitude towards me can change. I noticed last night during our yo-yo game, he back up with his ears forward, asking "Can I come back in yet, can I, can I?". For the past two years, he has always come back in with his ears back, pushes me out of the way and demands treats. Last night I felt like he chose me over the treats; he valued coming in to be with me rather than for a scatch or a treat. What a huge accomplishment and an amazing compliment! I was elated!

I am thrilled with the present, but am so excited about the future. If our relatationship can grow that much in one month, just think what we could be doing next summer!

Rydel, Melissa, Me, & Sonny
We like to be matchy, matchy :).


No comments:

Post a Comment