Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happiness

If someone were to ask me what makes me happy, the answer would be easy: Sonny. Although I don't always think about it in that way, he contributes more to my happiness than just the pleasure I get from being around him.

Things have been going great lately. Our freestyle is coming along nicely, he has been giving me better and better faces, he is starting to accept the bit, and so, so much more. Yes, all of those things make me happy. But there is something deeper that causes him to make me happy; it is more than just what we accomplish together.

The other day he went outside for the first time in a while. I didn't want to take that away from him, so I just went out to the field to say hi and was going to leave. Not only did he come to me, he wouldn't let me go. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get away from him! I couldn't stand to just leave him there at the gate, so I ended up waiting until he was content enough eating grass to let me walk away. It seems silly now, to have stood there doing nothing until my horse didn't want to follow me anymore. But now that I think about it, that's where true happiness is.

I am constantly pursuing never ending self improvement, but the trick is to realize that isn't what is going to make me happy. If you are always working to be better, there isn't an end goal in mind in which happiness lives. Happiness is found in the present, the journey.
"Sometimes we miss happiness by looking too far for things nearby." 

2 comments:

  1. You make some extremely wise conclusions in this post. Some days I read you blog and dont believe you are only 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa! That means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete