Saturday, January 28, 2012

Normal is Natural

It has recently been brought to my attention that things like 4-H are no longer what they used to be; everyone is out to win, even with the expense of their horse. If younger generations are learning that 'to ride a horse' means to use a big bit, jerk on the reins, and win, what is horsemanship going to be like when those kids grow up? It is a scary thought that now haunts me every time I go to the barn.

My best friend, Melissa, just posted this on Parelli Connect and I feel the need to share it because it gave me goosebumps and coincides with everything I have been thinking about lately. A lot of people have no idea what natural horsemanship is and only know how to interact with horses from watching what their trainer do. With that in mind, I encourage everyone to share things like this, but more importantly to share your horsemanship. I really hope I live to see the day when normal is natural.
I dream of the day that "taking riding lessons" means learning to ride with fluidity and to work with the horse instead of against it. I dream of the day that "joining a 4H group" means being involved in a group of individuals who learn natural horsemanship together and who are like minded in their views about horsemanship. The day that "going to a show" means going to a venue to demonstrate one's excellence and skill while valuing the relationship above any ribbon. I dream of the day that normal IS natural.

1 comment: